Hi ! Just finished the demo, I had fun and hope I can get some friends to try co-op mode ! Do you intend to keep it to 2 players, or would more players be a possibility in the future ? Maybe with increased difficulty (more ennemies, more boss HP…) to compensate.
I am eager to discover the rest of the story and that universe.
I like how it looks so far, the controls are responsive although maybe a bit sluggish. I don't think the game would suffer from everything going a little (or much) faster : player movement and attacks, enemy movement and attacks, projectiles, everything can stand being a bit more nervous and fast-paced. But it's very playable like this. The Dash and Double Jump are appreciated, it's a bit strange that the aerial dash doesn't preserve momentum but I understand that it could be for balancing reasons.
Minor details and gratuitous suggestions :
– I know that historical accuracy is not the goal here (character have bombs after all…), but is feels a bit strange to see cross-shaped tombstones in a pre-christianised (and even pre-romanised, if I got it right) environment. Tombstones are easy to decipher visually, even with a simpler shape. Same goes with gothic-looking archs, it's a bit unsettling.
– I like what you've done with the 1-handed/2-handed system. Do you intend to develop that for other things than melee weapons ? Or could there be other possible actions for the shield slot, like spells ? Other kinds of bows and/or ranged weapons (slings and throwing spears come to mind) maybe ?
- The healing spells could use not working when you're already full health. They could also use a nerf to make them more strategic, such as "1 use, then you have to destroy an enemy to use it again". Each spell could be evolving as well : buying it again to make it more powerful.
- It could be nice to have weapons whose modifier isn't just damage, but range and/or speed (a spear comes to mind). But maybe you're already implementing it with the war club ? I wasn't sure
- Being able to buy ability modifiers instead of just weapons and spells could be funny (higher jump, longer dash, more attack range…)
- It'd be nice if pushing the joystick up or down while in the air could orient attacks, let's say 45° up or down for a bit more aerial flexibility – unless that would make the character overpowered.
- Some chests reset after dying. This means if the chest was after a checkpoint, each time I die I can open it again for 10 gold. Not much but it does feel a bit like an (albeit grindy) "infinite gold glitch". Maybe this is intentional, a little help when a player gets stuck somewhere ?
Welp, that was longer than I envisioned. I'm eager to see what you'll come up with. Stay awesome !